Ana Reisdorf, MS, RD
You have not been feeling your best lately, maybe you have been overdoing it on sugar, alcohol, or processed food. You are thinking you might need a full body reset with a cleanse or detox. Luckily, no matter how much you have been mistreating your body, with the right support, it is well-equipped to help you reset.
Signs You Might Need a Detox
Detoxification is when the body naturally removes impurities with the help of the digestive system, liver, and kidneys. If you are putting too many toxins into your body, these organs might be working overtime.
Signs that you might need to cleanse and reset, include:
- Constant fatigue
- Sluggish digestion
- Inflamed skin
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Brain fog or difficulty concentrating
- Achy muscles or joints
If you are feeling any of these symptoms and know you haven’t been treating your body the best, you may want to consider taking a few days and resetting with a detoxification protocol.
How to Do a Full Body Cleanse
One of the simplest ways to help your body naturally detoxify is to eliminate any toxic substances you might be including in your diet. This might include:
- Eliminating alcohol. Alcohol is toxic. As it breaks down in your body, it metabolizes into another toxic substance, called acetaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Alcohol can slow down the function of your liver, preventing your primary detoxification organ from doing its job.
- Reducing sugar and processed foods. These foods are low in nutrition, high in calories, and difficult for your body to process. Sugar, in particular, has been linked to liver disease. Eating a lot of these types of foods makes it difficult for your liver and kidneys to naturally clear out toxins.
- Eating less sodium. Toxins are removed from the body by water, which helps flush them out. Too much sodium, causes you to retain water, preventing natural detoxification from occuring. Reducing your intake of processed foods helps cut back on sodium.
- Getting adequate sleep. One of the most neglected health habits is sleep. Getting enough sleep supports your entire body, including the detoxification organs. During sleep your body also has a chance to “reset” and rid itself of toxins. Aim to get at least 7-9 hours a night.
- Evaluating household and personal care products. Products we use in our homes and on our skin can increase our toxic load. The Environmental Protection Agency provides information on safety of household products, which can help you choose those that are best.
Once you eliminate these common culprits of toxicity, you can support your cleanse in a few other ways. This might include:
- Drinking more water. Aim for at least 8-10 cups a day.
- Eating high fiber foods. The digestive system needs fiber to eliminate toxins.
- Eating fermented foods. Probiotics help support a healthy gut, critical for detoxification.
- Using detoxification supplements. There are many nutrients that can support your body in cleansing, these might include Buffered C Plus (Capsules or Powder), LivClear, LivClear II, Pro Lean Greens, and Power Cleanse.
A successful detox or cleanse is a two step process, you start by eliminating toxins and then adding in supportive foods and nutrients. The goal is to help support your body’s natural detoxification system, so it can do what it does best, help you restore your health and well-being